2016 YEAR IN REVIEW
- March: NRCGA set up a booth at the CGA’s annual Excavation Safety Conference & Expo, March 8 – 10, at the Mirage in Las Vegas. NRCGA members Craig Rogers & Bob Ward provided two educational sessions, one on common sense locates and another on excavator training.
- April – May: NRCGA contracted ELM Locating & Utility Services to provide Introduction to Damage Prevention training to approximately 50 line locators in Elko, Reno and Las Vegas. The training was funded through the NRCGA’s Technical Assistance Grant award provided by the federal Pipeline and Hazardous Material Safety Administration.
- May – June: NRCGA sponsored the Southern Nevada Home Builders Association and NUCA golf tournaments in Las Vegas. The NRCGA also sponsored an ACGPAC golf tournament in Northern Nevada. At each tournament, the NRCGA set up a tent to promote the NRCGA and 811. Volunteers distributed golf divot repair tools as swag.
- September: NRCGA hosted its Annual Contractor Recognition/Safe Event in Carson City with 60 excavators in attendance. Granite Construction won the NRCGA’s “Ken Jones Memorial Award” for most dig tickets requested and zero at-fault damages. Jet Plumbing and Lakeside Excavating were also recognized for safe digging practices.
- November: NRCGA hosted the Excavator Appreciation Event in Henderson with more than 100 excavators and line locators in attendance. The NRCGA Board of Directors selected Byrd Underground for the Silver Shovel Award based on the number of new tickets called in by the organization and no at-fault damages from May 2015 – May 2016. The City of North Las Vegas came in second and received a plaque for outstanding performance. Byrd Underground’s award includes a free trip for one representative to attend the CGA’s 2017 Excavation Safety Conference & Expo in Orlando, Florida. Justin McCarger became the NRCGA’s first ever Locator of the Year. Brandon Soma received the NRCGA’s first ever Outstanding Performance Award. McCarger’s award includes a free trip to the 2017 International Utility Locate Rodeo in Dallas, Texas.
- January – December: More than 1,000 excavators statewide Nevada received the NRCGA’s Excavator Safety Training.